Soy Wax Candles
Soy wax is a vegetable wax made from the oil of soybeans. After harvesting, the beans are cleaned, cracked, de-hulled, and rolled into flakes. The oil is then extracted from the flakes and hydrogenated. The hydrogenation process converts some of the fatty acids in the oil from unsaturated to saturated. This process dramatically alters the melting point of the oil, making it a solid at room temperature. The leftover bean husks are commonly used as animal feed.
Paraffin wax is derived from petroleum which is one of the biggest contributors of carbon dioxide. It contains different carcinogen compounds that are toxic air pollutants, not least toluene and benzene - the nasty carcinogens found in cigarette smoke. This can trigger respiratory irritation and lead to poor indoor air quality.
Soy wax candles are a blend of wax and botanical oils which are completely healthy and toxin free. They are sustainable, biodegradable and burn longer than paraffin candles.
There there are many obvious reasons why we’d recommend burning soy wax candles but we decided to list the five big ones here.
- Soy wax burns much cleaner than paraffin wax, meaning there is a lot less soot to pollute your home with. This is not only good news for your walls but also for your body. Basically, less soot in the air means cleaner walls and cleaner lungs!
- It burns at a lower temperature, which is actually preferable for fragranced candles. Rather than burning the essential oils off, the wax is evenly melted and the oils are naturally diffused into the space.
- Soy wax candles last a lot longer than paraffin or beeswax candles. This is directly related to the lower burning temperature. If you burn your soy candle right, you can make it last nearly twice as long as a traditional paraffin candle of the same size.
- Soy wax is much better for the environment. Aside from the fact that it does not pollute the air when burning, it is also completely sustainable. There is no harm done to our planet as soy wax is plant based rather than extracted from oil. Once the soya has been harvested more can be grown again and again.
- It is vegan friendly. There are two biggest alternatives to paraffin wax, beeswax and soy wax. Whilst there is a lot of discussion out there whether beeswax is actually vegan friendly, soy wax is 100% plant based, no discussion.
&Keep stock soy wax candles by Parkminster.